Muffins are the secret weapon in any baker’s arsenal! They are quick and easy to prepare, their simple ingredients are a snap to keep on hand and you don’t even need to use your mixer. They are ideal for last minute guests, to take to an afternoon tea or to add to lunch boxes as a treat. Best of all, they never fail to please.
These muffins are strawberry & orange with a hint of dark chocolate, because it’s spring and I find strawberries and oranges hard to pass by, but the sky is the limit when it comes to flavours. So experiment, if the mood takes you, or try out these sumptuous stunners.
2 cups Plain Flour
3/4 cup Castor Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 cup Sour Cream
1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 punnet/250g Strawberries, washed, hulled and chopped
1 Orange, zested
1/3 cup Dark Chocolate Dots (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 200°c (180°c fan forced) and line a muffin tin with paper wrappers.
2. In a large mixing bowl add the flour, salt, and baking soda, mix lightly.
3. In another bowl add the eggs, sugar, oil, sour cream and vanilla, whisk until well combined.
4. Fold the egg mixture into the flour mixture, then gently fold in your strawberries, orange zest and chocolate. Be careful not to over mix the batter. Over mixing will mush your fruit and make your muffins a little tough, rather than light and airy.
5. Spoon the batter into the prepared wrappers and pop in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into a muffin comes out clean (except for fruit goo).
6. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool. Before serving, you can dust with some icing sugar if you wish.